Monday, March 31, 2008

Read this before you light your next candle!

Each time you light a soy candle, you not only create a beautiful atmosphere, you also light a candle that is better for you and the environment.

In the candle industry, paraffin candles have been around a very long time and are a byproduct of crude oil. Did you know that burning a paraffin candle creates the same air quality as sitting behind a diesel truck inhaling exhaust fumes?

A few chemicals normally found in paraffin candles include formaldehyde, toluene, benzene, ethanol, and acetone. Add petroleum based fragrances and you got a toxic cocktail burning in your home.

High levels of indoor pollutants are a major problem considering that airborne soot can penetrate the deepest areas of the lungs and the lower respiratory tract. Emissions in the home are estimated to stay around for up to 10 hours after extinguishing a paraffin candle.

Paraffin candles also burn more quickly and much hotter than soy wax candles which increases a concern for fire hazards. Environmentally, paraffin is a non-renewable resource, where soy can be grown easily by US farmers and is a renewable source.

Have you ever notices black soot around your candle when it burns? Do you have soot on your walls or drapery near candles that have burned? Pure Soy wax candles do not create soot.

EclipseSpa candles are hand-poured and made from 100% soybean wax. They are non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, and contain no lead or petroleum.

No comments: